By Alisha Ramos
I recently moved into an apartment building that has an amenity that my neighbors, thankfully, often overlook: an outdoor patio equipped with two industrial-size gas grills. This is a big deal as I’ve never had a proper grill. Of course, I’d attend the occasional summer or July 4th barbecue, which were always a treat, given that grilled burgers and hot dogs are, oh I don’t know, some of the most delicious meals on the planet?
Grilling has always been considered a “dude thing,” particularly in America. You have to “man” the grill (people really say this! all the time!). As such, I never stepped foot near a smoking grill during barbecues and hangouts. It looked dangerous! And my god, the smoke! Knowing what I know now — this type of gendering is bullsh*t. Grilling is joyful. Everyone should grill. It’s relatively easy and best of all — QUICK if you’re looking for a throw-it-together weeknight meal (which leads me to another aside: why is grilling a weekend-only thing? Embrace the weeknight BBQ, y’all!).
Below are some of my favorite recipes that we’ve tried in my household during the week days:
- Grilled branzino with mint and cilantro relish
- Grilled sesame lime chicken breasts
- Veggie kebabs
- Grilled sea scallops
- Korean bbq
- Simple marinated chicken thighs
- Sweet spicy grilled squash Grilled corn
- Grilled salmon
- Sambal chicken skewers
- Grilled carrots
- I haven’t tried this yet but next up… grilled pizza
You can even grill desserts:
- Grilled s’mores, anyone?!
- Grilled peaches
Want to get in on the fun? Here are some of the grilling recs, reads, and tools that got me pumped up to give it a try:
- Extra-long stainless steel tongs. Do it. Don’t burn yourself with the regular kind. And don’t overpay for fancy grilling equipment (yet). These are like $12.
- Read Alison Roman’s ode to the mini grill
- For NYT subscribers, this beautiful and maybe overindulgent visual guide on “how to grill” is excellent and has a few easy recipes to try.
- This Queer Eye episode featuring women pitmasters - you love to see it. 😭
- This Bon Appétit podcast episode on grilling
Photo by @alisharamos